Guidance notes for prayer and reflection. Please circulate and share with others.
- What is my own personal standing before the Lord? For Almighty God to hear my prayer for the Nation, I myself need to be in a right relationship with Him. We come before God’s Throne of grace trusting not in our own righteousness but His Mercy.
- Psalm 107v34 “A fruitful nation will become impoverished because of the wickedness of those who dwell in it.” Proverbs Ch14v34 “Righteousness will exalt a nation but sin will destroy any people.”
- Pray most especially for the repentance of the Nation and that people may come to truly know the Lord and follow Him. May there be heartfelt repentance at the neglect of His Church and His Laws.
- We have driven the Lord Jesus Christ out of our culture, out of our government and out of the education of our children. In the void we have replaced Him with idols, greed, carnality, materialism and immorality. We have polluted the land with pornography, profaned the sacred and sanctified the profane. No Nation that does this can expect God’s blessing of protection to remain.
- Many people are increasingly frightened by events around them. This world and this Country is in turmoil. Nationally we are in a mess socially; morally, politically, economically and spiritually. Pray that people may humbly seek God’s guidance and help regarding these issues.
- Pray for the protection of the Nation from acts of terrorism and that God may show mercy rather than judgement upon a Nation that has rejected His Laws and Commandments. We urgently need His blessing of protection from the threats around us and within.
- A Nation or Society will reap what it sows. Ask that God may open the hearts and minds of the spiritually blind in order that they may see that the way of salvation, peace and safety lies in following Him.
- Pray that the Lord may raise up Godly people to take on positions of responsibility and influence. The Church is a battleship and not a passenger liner which means that every devout “able bodied” Christian has a role to play in some way. Pray that Christians may recognise their responsibility to be a strong Christian witness wherever they are. Every Christian is a missionary and every unbeliever a mission field.
- Pray for the Queen, royal family and political leaders. Pray that God will raise up more Christians to guide and direct the thoughts of the Nation. The harvest is plentiful but the labourers are few. For example, pray that the Lord may call more Christians to be pastors and clergy, politicians and journalists, judges, magistrates and law makers, teachers, councillors, school governors, nurses and doctors etc, in order that a Christian influence may extend throughout every strata of Society.
- Pray for greater support for Christian run charities, missionary societies and organisations both at home and overseas.
- Pray that while being bold in our Christian witness we remain gracious, kind and loving towards those with whom we disagree.
- Pray for those Christians who have lost their jobs or livelihood because of their faithfulness to Christ.
- Pray that the issues arising out of the EU referendum will drive us toward, rather than away from God. Pray that God in His Providence will overrule the events of these troubled times to advance His Kingdom.
In Conclusion, as Christians we seek God’s mercy, forgiveness, healing, restoration, protection and revival upon our Nation. A true spirit of repentance will result in such blessings. Let us be encouraged by the moving promise in 2nd Chronicles Ch7v14 “If my people who are called by My Name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sins and heal their land.”
Take heart and be of good courage. The Lord can save by many or by few. See 2nd Chronicles Ch14v11. Also remember the story of Gideon and his 300 (Judges Ch7) and the reassurance given to weary and distressed Elijah when the entire nation seemed all but lost. (1st Kings Ch19vs11-18).
Suggested bible readings:
Joel Ch 2 vs 12 onwards
Isaiah Ch 58
Isaiah Ch 59 vs 1-8
Jonah Ch 3
Daniel Ch 9 vs 4-19
“O God, Who has graciously preserved our Nation through two World Wars, and hast led us in wondrous ways; we confess that as a Nation we have turned far from Thee and have neglected our national responsibilities before the World; we have misused the liberty for which men and women gave their lives, we have pursued pleasure and not the Living God; we acknowledge that You will not bless or deliver our Nation from the future enemy until we have returned to Thee. Therefore we entreat Thy Divine Majesty, to turn the hearts of the people of this Nation to true repentance. Purge out the sins that dishonour Thee. Give us true religion; crown our faith with righteousness, and lift us up, a holy people, to Thy praise and honour, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.”
To read about how God delivered our Nation against overwhelming odds, through two World Wars, click on the topic entitled “National Deliverance” located towards the bottom of the right hand index.
Please do share these prayer topics, readings and the above information with other Christians so that they too can use them and be encouraged in spirit.